This has sat in draft form on my computer for ages so I thought I better post it quick just in case it evaporates and ends up in the virtual ether.
Yes, finally after years and years of work I have completed my afghan-come-quilt project. Little did I know all those years ago when I began this small project how long and tortuous a road it would be to get the bugger done!
The afghan material was woven in such a way that it was amenable to being cross stitched on. However due to the weave each cross stitch had to be completed before beginning the next and that meant I couldn’t work up a head of steam and speed along.
The border is alternating stitched and not stitched squares. I stitched 13 squares in the border using my own design created from elements in the main panels. Each border square used two different colour combinations from the main panels.
Four panels in the finished piece included information about my family, including our names plus the date embroidered. The other panels are all based on quilt patters. Two examples are shown above. They are, on the left, Lone Star, and on the right, Log Cabin. I used a chart by Canterbury Designs called, Quilts In A Day (Or Two), designed by Joyce B. Drenth.
The backing fabric is a patchwork pattern and helps protect the skin from the rough fabric that is the afghan. Quilting is achieved through ties using the cotton thread that I stiched with.